Mission Investing: A Conversation with Flozell Daniels, Jr. & Foundation for Louisiana

Lousiana’s

Earlier this year, the National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy (NCRP) released a special edition of its quarterly journal and included an interview with FFL's CEO & President about our innovative loan fund.

(Reprinted from NCRP’s website)

Mission Investing: A Conversation with Flozell Daniels, Jr. & Foundation for Louisiana
By: Christine Reeves

Earlier this year, NCRP released a special edition of our quarterly journal dedicated to mission investing, or making investments that reflect an organization’s values. As foundations are only required to pay out 5 percent of their assets annually in grants and the administrative costs of making these grants, much of the remaining 95 percent is invested to strengthen the foundation’s economic viability. As such, mission investing can be just as important to creating change as grantmaking.

Many great groups promote investments that support both the economy and the greater good, such as Mission Investors Exchange, Confluence Philanthropy, The Forum for Sustainable and Responsible Investment (US SIF) and Divest-Invest Philanthropy, just to name a few.

Foundation leaders, such as Flozell Daniels, Jr., president and CEO of Foundation for Louisiana (FFL), are also redefining the conversation about what a foundation can and should do with its resources. His team’s mission investing projects are emblematic of the growing movement of foundation leaders committed to mission investing. Here is our conversation.

Continue Reading

Published October 14, 2014