ABOUT FOUNDATION FOR LOUISIANA
Launched in 2005 as the Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation, a 501(c)(3) grantmaking public charity, Foundation for Louisiana (FFL) is an innovative and effective philanthropic strategy organization. We invest in people and practices that work to reduce vulnerability and build stronger, more sustainable communities, statewide. We lead and partner in strategic grantmaking initiatives across a range of social justice and racial equity issues, support leadership & public policy initiatives, and provide critical fiscal sponsorship and management to external projects and special initiatives.
The Staff Accountant works under the supervision of the CFO, maintaining vendor files and accounts payables, financial reports and general ledgers; preparing and analyzing budgets; and performing general accounting functions. The Staff Accountant provides administrative support to the foundation to ensure efficiency of operations, effective delivery of grant-making and community activities, and high-quality services to nonprofits, community partners, Board of Directors and other key constituents. This position provides the individual with a unique opportunity to work with a dynamic social justice organization and a diverse team to build stronger more sustainable communities statewide.
The position will be based in New Orleans. The position may require travel, particularly between the Baton Rouge and New Orleans offices, as well as program meetings throughout the state and some conference travel. The Staff Accountant is an exempt position, primarily 9-5, Monday to Friday. However, additional hours including evenings and weekends may be required from time to time as well as some travel.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The following is a summary of the duties required.
- Responsible for accounts payable, accounts receivable, preparing journal entries, detailed reports, and account reconciliations.
- Entering invoices and printing of checks, preparing and posting of entries.
- Assist CFO in preparing budget forecasting by fund source and organization-wide.
- Ability to work with various project managers to guide project and annual budget forecasting.
- Responsible for managing operational data and ensuring data integrity and accuracy.
- Assist CFO in development of operational procedures and documentation of data flow.
- Assist CFO in development of system controls to ensure data integrity.
- Assist the CFO in production of accurate and timely financial statements.
- Assist in the month-end closing and financial reporting process including account analysis and reconciliation.
- A basic understanding of Inter-fund transactions and cost allocations.
- Assist in special projects as necessary and other duties as assigned by the CFO, COO and/or CEO.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting and 3 – 4 years of nonprofit accounting work experience OR equivalent external accounting work experience OR equivalent formal training in related duties.
- Experience in non-profit accounting.
- Good interpersonal and external communication skills.
- Must be excellent at organizing and time management.
- Ability to work well with others in a fast-paced environment.
- Sound judgment, planning skills and leadership traits.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite of programs particularly Excel and Word, as well as familiarity with Outlook.
- Proficiency in using a 10-key adding machine or calculator skills required.
OTHER DESIRED SKILLS
- Experience with FIMS (Integrated Financial Management System) a plus.
- Salesforce experience and/or management is an asset.
- Must be a self-starter and able to work with minimal direction.
SALARY: $45,000 to $55,000 annually plus a generous benefits and PTO package including (100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision premiums; up to $50,000 employer-paid life insurance; and a 403(b) employer match).
TO APPLY: Please send your resume along with a cover letter to Dana Delpit, Chief Financial Officer, Foundation for Louisiana, via email: email@example.com
No phone calls please. Individuals fluent in Spanish and/or Vietnamese are encouraged to apply. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT POLICY
Foundation for Louisiana follows an equal opportunity employment policy and employs personnel without regard to race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, criminal justice background and marital status.
This policy also applies to internal promotions, training, opportunities for advancement, terminations, outside vendors, members and customers, service clients, use of contractors and consultants, grantees, board members and dealings with the general public.
For more information about Foundation for Louisiana visit our website at www.foundationforlouisiana.org